Dreaming of Being Left Behind
What does it mean to dream of being left behind? If you dream that you have been left behind, it is symbolic of an inner feeling of inadequacy. Many people feel that this type of dream means they have been wronged in some way or that others don’t like them. In all actuality, however, dreaming of being left behind has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else. It’s all you, sport!
This is the perfect example of why I always say that dreams can be very helpful in self improvement and self growth. When we get tuned in to our dreams and dream symbols, we’ll realize just how much they tell us about ourselves. We can then, of course, take this information and use it constructively and proactively.
If you have a dream where you have been left behind, mark it down: There is something about you that you feel insecure or unsure about. It could be physical or it could not be physical! Below are just some of the areas in a person’s life that could cause them to have feelings of insecurity:
- Vehicle they drive
- House they live in
- Guilt over something they’ve done
- Job or “title”
- General appearance
The list, of course, goes on and on. The point is, the insecurity could come from just about anyplace – only the dreamer knows for sure. However, there may be clues in the dream that point to the area of insecurity. Look for the following four clues:
- In the dream, do the people who are leaving you behind have anything in common? For example, are they all rich, skinny, outgoing, etc? If they are glaring similar in some way, you may feel that you are lacking in this area.
- In the dream, is money involved in any way? If someone has left you behind while they go shopping, you may feel insecure about your financial situation.
- In the dream, has EVERYONE left you behind – that is to say EVERY single person in the dream? You probably feel lonely and isolated in your day to day life and are (whether rightly or wrongly) pointing your fingers at the area in which you feel insecure or inefficient.
- In the dream, has everyone left you behind because they’re angry at you? If this is the case, you may feel insecure about something you’ve done or something you failed to do. Feelings of guilt cause us to feel that we don’t quite measure up to others and that we’re worthy of being abandoned.
Here’s a completely different dream about being left behind: What if YOU are the one leaving someone or something behind? This type of dream has a different meaning, all together. If you dream that you have or are leaving someone, something, or someplace behind, the symbolism is that you are “leaving behind” the past. This could be a bad habit, a feeling of guilt, anger or resentment toward someone in particular, etc. It could also symbolize leaving a job, school, home, or relationship.
If you’ve had any dreams similar to these, please tell us about them in the comments!